TOGAF® Certification – Exam Preparation, Exercise Tipps & Practice Tests
- TOGAF® Standard is a framework for the management of Enterprise Architectures. The standard is developed and published by the global consortium The Open Group.
- Currently, the TOGAF® Certification for people comprises five different types: TOGAF® 9 Foundation and Certified, TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Foundation and Practitioner, as well as TOGAF® Business Architecture Foundation.
- The TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Part 1 Exam paves the way to the foundation certification. The exam with a length of 60 minutes consists of 40 single choice questions covering the TOGAF® Fundamental Content.
- Students can prepare for the TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Part 1 Exam by self-study, a guide live training or an online video course. In any case, we recommend an extensive rehearsal through practice tests under real exam conditions.
Lernen Sie Enterprise Architecture mit dem TOGAF® Standard (10th Edition)
Unser neuer Online-Kurs Enterprise Architecture with the TOGAF Standard, 10th Edition bereitet Sie optimal auf das offizielle TOGAF Enterprise Architecture Part 1 Exam vor.
Zur Erstveröffentlichung erhalten die ersten 100 Interessenten das digitale Kompakttraining kostenfrei.
Sie erhalten nach Anfrage direkt Ihren persönlichen Gutscheincode.
First come, first served.
TOGAF® Standard, 10 Edition – Framework for Enterprise Architecture
The TOGAF® Standard helps you in planning, developing, implementing, governing and using an Enterprise Architecture (EA). The framework manages the changes of an organization from a current to a target state.
Owner of the TOGAF® Standard is The Open Group, a global consortium that seeks to enable the achievement of business objectives by developing open, vendor-neutral technology standards and certifications. The first version of TOGAF® was released in 1995, inspired by Technical Architecture Framework for Information Management (TAFIM) of the US Department of Defense (DoD).
In 2022 The Open Group published the TOGAF® Standard, 10th Edition (German). With the new version, adjustments to the TOGAF® certification portfolio were made. As of July 2023, five certifications for people are possible each of them reached with a passed exam.
- TOGAF® 9 Foundation
- TOGAF® 9 Certified
- TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Foundation
- TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Practitioner
- TOGAF® Business Architecture Foundation
The TOGAF® Standard is constantly evolving as a result of the work delivered by members of The Open Group Architecture Forum. As of today, a TOGAF certification has been achieved by nearly 120,000 individuals worldwide.
In the following, you will learn everything you need to prepare the TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Part 1 Exam in order to reach the TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Foundation certification.
Online, offline, hybrid
study pack, books, websites
At work, at home, on the move
TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Foundation Certification – Objective, conditions & booking
The TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Foundation Certification validates that you have gained knowledge of the terminology and basic concepts of The TOGAF® Standard, 10th Edition. You understands the core principles of Enterprise Architecture as well as the TOGAF® framework.
The Part 1 exam (OGEA-101) consists of 40 single choice questions you are asked to answer within 60 minutes. If English is your 2nd language, additional 30 minutes extra working time is granted. You may use a dictionary that has to be presented for inspection.
The supervised exam is closed book, meaning you cannot use any (digital) literature or personal notes. The pass mark is 60 percent, i.e., at least 24 of 40 answers must be correct to master the exam.
The TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Part 1 Exam is conducted by Pearson Vue on behalf of The Open Group. You can take the exam at a test center or remote under video surveillance. For booking an online exam, follow the following steps.
TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Part 1 Exam – Preparation, questions & tips
There are three approaches to prepare the TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Part 1 Exam.
- You take part in an live training either on site or online. Within 2 working days, you learn everything you need to pass the exam and have the chance to question the trainer.
- You purchase the 60-days access to the official TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Foundation (Level 1) Online Self-Study Materials and learn the framework at your individual speed.
- You combine the best training and self-study and register for video courses like our Enterprise Architecture with TOGAF® Standard, 10th Edition.
The TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Part 1 Exam questions are single choice, meaning one single answer out of four or five possible answers is correct. The questions test your knowledge and address the whole spectrum of the foundation curriculum, i.e.,
- Introduction and Core Concepts (e.g., enterprise, architecture, EA framework)
- Architecture Development Method (e.g., Preliminary Phase, Implementation Governance)
- ADM Techniques (e.g., Business Scenarios, Gap Analysis, Risk Management)
- Architecture Content (e.g., Architecture Repository, Enterprise Metamodel)
- Enterprise Architecture Capability and Governance (e.g., Architecture Board, Architecture Contracts)
Expect the following types of questions:
- Which one of the following best describes the TOGAF Standard?
- Enterprise Architecture Framework to develop any kind of architecture in any context
- An enterprise architecture pattern
- A business model
- A concept for developing IT architectures
- An approach for IT Governance
- According to the TOGAF Standard, the recommended dimensions used to define the scope of an architecture include all the following, except the…
- …Architecture Domains.
- …Level of Detail (depth).
- …Time Period.
- …Enterprise Scope (breadth).
- …Subject Matter.
- Complete the sentence: The Business Transformation Readiness Assessment technique is primarily focused on…
- …determining if the organization is ready to accept change.
- …planning the migration steps needed to achieve the transformation.
- …ensuring that there are adequate trained developers and engineers to implement the solution.
- …ensuring that there is sufficient financial capacity to execute the desired transformation.
- …determining if there is adequate stakeholder support for the implementation.
Solution: 1a, 2e and 3a. You find 200 questions within 5 trial exams within our Practice Test Pack for TOGAF® 10 EA Foundation Certification.
Since 2012 we are TOGAF® certified and help students in preparing for the TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Part 1 Exam. Master your test in taking the following practice tips into account.
Read questions carefully
Go through each question and all their answers. Attention to the details. Sometimes a single word makes the difference. Differentiate between true/correct/right and false/incorrect/wrong.
Force a constant pace
With 60 minutes and 40 questions each question amounts to 90 seconds working time. Look for quick wins, i.e., easy to answer questions. Skip tough questions and revisit those time traps in the final phase of your exam. Flag all questions, which deserve a second look if there is still time left.
Always choose an answer
In the single choice exam only one answer is the correct one. In addition, there are no negative points for wrong answers. Thus, always put a tick. Make use of the exclusion principle and eliminate wrong answers to maximize your chance to check a correct one.
Rehearse the content
The Architecture Development Method (ADM) remains the centerpiece of the TOGAF® Standard. Go through the method, its phases, deliverables and activities. Memorize the cycle. Knowing this backbone allows you the obtain the minimum of 26 correct answers. Learn the main keywords TOGAF® uses in its fundamental content and specifies in the Definition publication.
Complete practice tests
Test and expand you TOGAF® Standard knowledge by completing as many exam questions as you can. The web offers you plenty of material. However, be careful, given that some resources refer to version 9 of the framework or lack of quality. Find 200 proven exam questions in our Practice Test Pack for TOGAF® 10 EA Foundation Certification.
Stick to the standard
Even if you are an experienced Enterprise Architect with many architecting endeavors lying behind you: If you want to obtain the TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Foundation Certification, you you need to take the word of the standard as law. The exam is designed to test your TOGAF® knowledge, not your EA project knowhow.
Test your online exam infrastructure
Test your IT infrastructure if you decide to take the TOGAF® proctored exam. Have a redundant internet connection in place, for example by using your smartphone as a WiFi hotspot. Make sure, that your room is silent and no one can interrupt your exam session. Use a fast computer with a reliable operating system and hardware.
Find all the required knowledge to reach the TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Foundation Certification within our online course Enterprise Architecture with TOGAF® Standard, 10th Edition.
Palladio Consulting GmbH & Co. KG is a member of The Open Group Architecture Forum and has a commercial license for the TOGAF® Standard, 10th Edition, and earlier. We teach TOGAF in industry together with training providers.
TOGAF® is a registered trademark of The Open Group.
Digital Practitioner Body of Knowledge™ is a trademark of The Open Group.
DPBoK™ is a trademark of The Open Group.
Boundaryless Information Flow™ is a trademark of The Open Group.
Analysis & text: Dr. Christopher Schulz
Was ist TOGAF® 10? Wie kann TOGAF beim Enterprise Architecture Management helfen? Alles Wichtige zum The Open Group Architecture Framework.
Was ist eine gute IT-Vision? Wie grenzt sich diese zur IT-Mission ab? Entwicklung, Beispiele & Vorlagen für das Zielbild der IT-Organisation.
Was ist Green IT? Und wie lässt sich Informationstechnik im Einklang mit der Umwelt aufbauen und nachhaltig betreiben? Alles Wichtige.
TOGAF® Certification Material – audio, video & text
- Josey, A., Hornford D.: The TOGAF® Standard, 10th Edition – A Pocket Guide, Van Haren Publishing, 2022
- Schulz, C., Smuda, T.: Enterprise Architecture with TOGAF® Standard, 10th Edition, Udemy video course, 2023 (last opened: 25.07.2023)
- Schulz, C., Smuda, T.: Practice Test Pack for TOGAF® 10 EA Foundation Certification, Udemy practice test, 2023 (last opened: 25.07.2023)
- The Open Group: The TOGAF® Standard 10th Edition, What’s New and What’s Different (35min), YouTube Video, 2022 (last opened: 25.07.2023)